- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp. plus 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp. (2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 180° (or 350° for you Americans). Line 24 mini muffin pan with cupcake liners, set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, food coloring, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, vinegar and egg. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until well combined.
Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups; bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute more.
Garnish with sprinkles or fresh raspberries.