- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g piece peeled, seeded butternut pumpkin, coarsely grated
- 7 slices (100g) prosciutto, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/4 cups (100g) finely grated Parmesan
- 150g firm feta, cut into 5mm dice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) buttermilk
- 30g pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease 2, 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin tins. Heat 2 tbs oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add pumpkin and prosciutto and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and cool.
Sift flour and 1/2 tsp salt into a bowl. Stir in Parmesan and 3/4 of the feta. Whisk together egg, buttermilk and remaining oil until combined, then season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Pour buttermilk mixture over flour. Add pumpkin mixture and, using a large metal spoon, stir briefly until just combined.
Spoon mixture among 16 holes of prepared muffin tins. Combine remaining feta and pepitas in a bowl and scatter over tops of muffins. Bake full tin first, for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Fill empty holes of second tin with scrunched foil (this will allow the remaining muffins to cook more evenly), then cook as for the full tray. Stand in tins for 5 minutes then turn on to a wire rack. Serve.
ORIGINAL SOURCE: Taste
Blogging this so I can make them, not my recipe, source link above.