* 175g butter, softened
* 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 eggs
* 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
* 2/3 cup plain flour, sifted
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
* 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
* 3 drops red food colouring
* 3 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
* 3 drops read food colouring
* 1/3 cup water
* 1/3 cup milk
* 400g milk chocolate, chopped
* 1 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, allowing a 3cm overhang.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined. Stir in flours, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, coffee powder, food colouring, water and milk. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean (cover cake with foil if over-browning during cooking). Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting: Place chocolate in a double boiler and melt.Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
Cut cake into thirds horizontally. Place cake base on a plate. Spread one-quarter of the frosting over base. Top with cake layer. Spread one-third of remaining frosting over cake. Top with cake top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake. Serve.