|Another really easy shot glass dessert recipe that does not take much effort.|
INGREDIENTS (to make 12)
- 6 large strawberries cut in 1/2 or 12 small that will fit in your glass size
- Vanilla custard (recipe below)
- Few drops of pink food dye
- Raspberry Essence or strawberry. (got mine from The Essential Ingredient in Prahran)
- 1 packet of strawberry jelly crystals
- Strawberry Flavoured Chocolate Buttons (12 pieces also from Essential Ingredient)
Make jelly as per packet instructions and pour into shot glasses till they are 3/4 full.
Meanwhile make custard as per below (or use store bought) add a few drops of essence and colouring stir and set aside.
Once jelly is set gently spoon on custard then refrigerate again .
Just before serving garnish with Strawberry flavoured chocolate buttons or garnish of your choice.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean (see note)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
Combine milk and cream in a small saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape out seeds. Add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Remove vanilla beans from milk mixture. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
Return mixture to saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 15 to 20 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (do not allow custard to boil, as it might curdle).
You could use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste instead of the vanilla bean.