- 1 - 1.5 kg belly pork piece, well scored
- 2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 apple, cored and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Place sliced apples and onions on baking tray (small, so it fits snug)
- Place pork the belly on top skin side up.
- Pour over cider or juice and place apples and cloves alongside.
- Cover tightly with a sheet of foil and bake at 150°C for 3 hours.
- Remove the cloves and strain the juices into a saucepan and simmer gently to thicken into an apple gravy/sauce (if so desired)
- Meanwhile increase the oven temperature to 180°C.
- Rub some salt and oil into the surface of the pork and roast the belly until top crackles and browns.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes.