* 1 Kg potatoes
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 clove minced garlic
* 1 cups milk, 1 cup cream or sour cream
* 1/2 tsp white pepper
* Grated cheese
Preparation and Cooking
1. Peel the potatoes and put them in a bowl of water.
2. Add the milk, salt, pepper and garlic to a large pan.
3. Slice the potatoes very thinly, directly into the milk.***
4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
5. Bring the potatoes to a slow boil over medium heat while stirring to avoid burning. Use a heavy bottomed pan to help avoid burning.
6. After a few minutes of slow boiling, transfer to an oven proof dish, add the grated cheese on top and put into the oven.
7. Cook at 200 Celsius for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
*** Without rinsing, as the starch from the potato is an important part of the recipe
Sometimes I also add a teaspoon of hot English mustard or Dijon to the milk mix before baking.