※ Beef & Guinness Pie
* 1 3/4 C flour
* pinch of salt
* 1/3 C solid shortening
* 1/3 C unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
* 1/3 C ice water
* 1 egg mixed with 1 Tbl of water
* 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 4 cups of Guinness stout
* 1 garlic clove
* 1 Bay leaf, split
* 1 cup beef stock
* 2 celery stalks, sliced
* 2 large carrots, peeled and slices
* 1 large onion, sliced
* salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
* 2 Tbl minced flat leaf parsley
* bouquet garni**
* 1 Tbl cornstarch
* 1/2 C cold water
* 3 to 4 large mushrooms, sliced (optional)
** (a cheesecloth bag containing: 3 sprigs of fresh parsley, 1 sprig of fresh thyme, 8 to 10 peppercorns and 1 bay leaf) They are available commercially, you may decide to make one yourself.
- Combine beef, 2 cups of Guinness, the garlic and bay leaves in a bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Drain the marinade and discard the garlic and bay leaf
- In a stockpot or large saucepan over medium, bring the marinated beef, remaining Guinness and the beef stock to a boil.
- Reduce to medium low, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender (Skim any foam that may rise to top)
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, salt ,pepper, parsley and bouquet garni and cook until vegetable are slightly tender, about 15 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the 1/2 cup of cold water, mixing thoroughly
- Stir into the filling and cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine the flour, salt, shortening and butter in a food processor fitted with a metal blade,
- Sprinkle with 4 Tbl of the ice water and pulse 4 or 5 times, if needed add the rest of the water and pulse again.
- If you do not have a processor, mix dry ingredients by hand, cut in fats with a pastry blender and then add water needed.
- Wrap dough and refrigerate 30 minutes
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to a 12 inch circle
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Remove Bouquet Garni and transfer filling to a 10 inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Stir in mushrooms, if using.
- Cover with the pastry, crimp the edges and cut a few slits in top for steam to escape
- Brush top with egg wash & bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden
Post a Comment