※ Corned Beef - Silverside
- Piece of corned beef- silverside (rinsed well in cold water.)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed with a knife
- 1 lemon, cut in half (including rind)
- 4 fresh bay leaves (well worth the effort of maintaining your own tree) crumpled
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
Into a large, heavy based casserole/steamer, place sufficient water to cover the beef
Add all of above ingredients
Bring the pot to a quick boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately one hour to one and a half hours - depending on size of joint.
Generally, when the beef is fully cooked it will start to 'float' towards the surface.
Turn off the heat and leave to cool off in liquid for a while before serving.
Once cold place into an airtight container, or cover with aluminum foil.
Try not to boil the blazes out of the meat and allow it it come to room temperature in the cooking liquid.