※ Chicken Kiev & Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, fillets
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200 g Japanese panko crumbs
- oil, for frying
METHOD1. Beat the butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula until it is soft. Add the garlic and parsley and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Between 2 sheets of cling film, bash out each chicken breast until it is about 5mm thin. Spread the flavoured butter over the chicken, then roll each breast up as if it were a swiss roll. Wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to firm up for about 1 hour.
3. Coat the chicken rolls in the flour, egg and then panko breadcrumbs, making sure there are no gaps in the coating. Repeat the process to give a good crust and make sure the butter will not escape during cooking.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4. Fill a sauté pan to a depth of about 5cm with oil and fry the chicken for a couple of minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and cooked through.
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 large dutch cream potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure cream
- 25g butter
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Place garlic on a baking tray with Kievs & roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan cover with cold water & bring to the boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium.
Cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender.
Drain. Return to pan.
Squeeze roasted garlic flesh into pan.
Add cream and butter & olive oil & oregano
Mash until smooth. (I use a potato ricer)
Season with salt and pepper.