- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups of caster/granulated sugar
- 3 cups of flour
- 4 eggs beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee
1. Position rack on lowest rack of the oven and preheat to 180C/350F. Line a spring form cake tin with baking parchment on the base and sides.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
3. With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until very pale. Then slowly add the eggs ensuring that it is combined thoroughly. If it starts to appear curdled, add a teaspoon or two of the sifted flour mixture.
4. Add vanilla to the milk. Fold flour then the milk in using broad strokes ensuring that it is well combined.
Add instant coffee & pour the batter into the tin and bake on 180C/350F for 10 minutes on the lowest rack.
Then turn the heat down to 160C and bake for an additional 50-60 minutes
If toothpick comes out clean then the cake is done.
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla, coffee and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.
If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.